Welcome to Winterim!
Winterim experiences take place over the six class days before spring vacation each year, and reflect an intentional time set aside in the OES Upper School for experiential pursuits. Winterim experiences are rooted in our Essential Competencies and our inquiry cycle of exploring, creating, connecting, committing, and reflecting.
Faculty and students collaborate to plan a broad variety of experiences that provide opportunities for them to work and learn together as part of our shared community. Our Winterim experiences encourage students to cultivate their curiosity and reach beyond what is familiar by exploring and engaging in new places, cultures, and ideas in a focused, experiential manner.
As a cornerstone of our inquiry-based learning, participation in Winterim each year is a requirement for all students and generates some of the best memories of the school year!
Winterim: March 10-17, 2022
Registration and flexible tuition applications for Winterim 2022 are due by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, December 8, 2021.
All Winterim courses will be working towards the following outcomes:
- Integration of the Essential Competencies into the curriculum/itinerary
- Demonstration of Inquiry Based Learning
NOTE: Courses marked with a 🖐 indicate that the course involves a service component.
- Asian Culture in Food, Film, and Stories
- Community Engagement through Computer Science 🖐
- Everyday Mindfulness
- Horses - Heck Yeah! 🖐
- Humans of Our Community 🖐
- Lower School Interns 🖐
- OES Inklings: The Building of Realms and the Sipping of Butterbeer
- Outdoor School Internship 🖐
- Reading and Writing Around Portland
- River People - Intro to Fishing in the PNW
- Roll Around Rose City 🖐
- Run Away and Join the Circus
- Tabletop Gameplay and Design
- World War II: Over There and Over Here