Background Check

LS and MS volunteers will need to have a background check before they can begin volunteering. To get started, please email Eric Kristich and tell him what child you are related to and what division he or she is in so you can begin the process. Results from background check may require two weeks, so please begin the process early. US parents, please contact the US office to begin the DHS background check for your division.

Do I need to get Background Checked?

Criminal background checks are required for most volunteers at OES. If you plan to volunteer only in a capacity that doesn’t involve contact with students, or if you are making an occasional supervised presentation, a check may not be required. Please contact one of the division offices for more information.

What do I need to do to volunteer in Upper School?

Volunteers working with Upper School Students must use the Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) procedure. This involves a brief intake interview with one of several trained people on campus. Completion of a fingerprint card off-campus is required for non-Oregon and short-term (less than 5 years) Oregon residents. Please contact the Upper Office (503-768-3122) for more information and to make an appointment to complete the required form.

If I have been approved to volunteer in the Upper School, Can I also volunteer in the Lower and Middle School?



If I have been approved to volunteer in the Lower and Middle School, Can I also volunteer in the Upper?

Unfortunately, Upper School volunteers must complete the DHS check, and the DHS will process only those who work with our Upper School students.

How will I know when my Background Check has been approved?

Upper School volunteers will receive a letter from DHS stating that their record has been approved. Middle and Lower School volunteers will receive an e-mail from OES, normally from Rebecca Williams. When approved, your name will be placed on an approved list available to all division offices.

Other questions regarding Background Check?

Please contact Eric Kristich at 503-768-3162.