Thanks to all who attended the First Annual Athletic Hall of Fame Celebration on June 2, 2022!
Look for next year's nominations to open in early 2023. The Second Annual Athletic Hall of Fame Celebration is planned to take place in Sept. 2023.
You can click on the photos below to open a full-screen slideshow.
The OES Athletic Hall of Fame honors former St. Helen’s Hall, Bishop Dagwell Hall, and Oregon Episcopal School student-athletes, coaches, teams, and special contributors whose accomplishments have brought prestige and honor to Oregon Episcopal School. All nominees to the Hall of Fame must be individuals who have demonstrated their power for good since their graduation from OES, embodied outstanding leadership qualities, and continue to be held in high esteem by their colleagues, coaches, and teammates.
Many of our alumni athletes can recall picking up their first lacrosse stick or volleyball on Nicol Road. Some of our earliest athletes and teams formed in the early 1930s at St. Helen’s Hall. With the new Athletic Center complete and our sesquicentennial year behind us, now is the time to honor the individual athletes, teams, coaches, and the individual non-athletes who have, in some manner, made extraordinary contributions to our school community and beyond.
No-cut athletics was established by Kris Van Hatcher '70 more than 30 years ago to offer every student who has attended OES the opportunity to be part of something bigger than themselves—a team. OES has an athletics participation rate of 80%, even today. OES athletics has always been rooted in the school's mission to prepare students to grow physically, socially, and emotionally into leaders. Many of these students would not have had the opportunity to explore their interest and take advantage of the variety of sports at any other school, much less be able to play. Athletics brings people together.
Establishing a Hall of Fame is a way of reconnecting and engaging alumni and former community members of our school. This new tradition also serves as a means of recognizing, preserving, and honoring the athletes, coaches, and individuals who made significant contributions to the athletic programs throughout various eras.
Athletics prepares our students to lead through encouragement and camaraderie. We are honored to celebrate the confidence, successes, and lifelong relationships that these programs instilled in our students.
The First Inductees
- Helga Daret–Faculty, Coach, and Meritorious Service (Posthumous)
- Coleen Davis–Coach (Tennis)
- Molly Nakayama ’90–Athlete (Soccer)
- Ashley Berman Wigod '96–Athlete (Soccer)
- 1988 OES Girls Cross Country Team
- 2009 OES Boys Lacrosse Team
- Kris Van Hatcher ’70–Athlete, Coach, and Meritorious Service
Nomination Category Criteria
Hall of Fame Committee
Current and Former Employees
- Sarah Grenert-Funk, Head of Upper School
- Ed Kirk, Head Boys Varsity Basketball Coach
- Missy Smith, Associate Athletic Director
- John Holloran, Former OES Director of Studies
- Gary Crossman, Retired Upper School Math Teacher and Head Class Advisor, 10th Grade
- Sara Berglund, Director of Alumni Programs
Parents of Alumni
- Mark Hochgesang, Parent of Graduate from the Class of 2010
- Alicia Morissette, Parent of Graduates from the Classes of 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021
Former Student Athlete
- Craig Honeyman ‘68, Bishop Dagwell Hall