Financial Aid FAQs

Financial aid at OES consists of tuition grants. All awards are based solely on a family's demonstrated need as determined by the calculations provided by School and Student Services (SSS) and OES’s own financial aid guidelines and practices.

Financial Aid awards are grants and, therefore, do not need to be re-paid. Financial aid is school-financed with all money coming from the OES budget, not from the government or any other outside organization.

Below are frequently asked questions for families exploring Financial Aid.

What is “demonstrated need”?

"Demonstrated need" is defined as the difference between the amount a family can be expected to contribute to the cost of the student's education and the amount of annual tuition at OES. All families attending OES are expected to contribute toward the cost of their student's education.

Does the school ever give out a full financial aid award to cover 100% of the cost of tuition?

Families applying for financial aid should be guided by the principle that the primary responsibility of financing a child’s education rests with them, not with the School. Financial aid is not intended to cover 100% of the cost of tuition. Families who choose an independent school place a high value on their child’s education and these values are generally reflected in lifestyle choices that permit the use of some of their discretionary resources for the cost of education.

I am an international student applying for the boarding program, can I apply for financial aid?

OES offers limited financial aid for international students. While the financial aid application we use is designed primarily for families who live and reside in the United States, OES still requires international families to submit the Parent Financial Statement and documentation of income and taxes paid by the deadline. We recognize that cost of living varies widely between countries, so we ask international families to complete this additional form so that we gain a better understanding of expenses.

When an international student is budgeting for expenses, they should anticipate purchasing the student health insurance plan (approximately $2,200 annually) and provide their own transportation to/from campus.

Do I have to re-apply for financial aid each year?

Yes. Because a family's financial circumstances are subject to change, we require reapplication for financial assistance every year. However, if your family situation remains relatively the same you can expect relatively the same percentage of financial assistance, understanding that tuition is likely to increase each year.

When will I receive a decision regarding financial aid?

For new students, financial aid decisions are communicated at the same time as an admissions decisions; returning students will receive financial aid awards throughout the month of March.

Who has access to my financial information?

Financial aid applications are reviewed by the financial aid committee only. All information is secure and held in strict confidence.

Beyond financial aid at OES, are there scholarships available?

IEA’s Caroline D. Bradley Scholarship offers the only merit-based, need-blind high school scholarship to highly gifted students across the United States. Current 7th grade students, residing in the United States are eligible. Please see the IEA's website for detailed information on the application process. The deadline is typically in April of a student's 7th grade year.

Unique Circumstances

I am separated/divorced, how will my finances be considered in the financial aid application?

In cases of divorce or separation, both parents are required to fully complete the financial aid process and file separate forms. OES believes that divorced or separated parents retain an obligation to contribute to the education of their children.

What if my child’s non-custodial parent is not willing to do the financial aid application?

If the non-custodial parent has had little or no contact with the child for a period of two years, and provides little to no financial support, the requirement for participation may be waived. The school requires a written statement from a non-family member who is aware of the family situation in a professional capacity. This might include the family lawyer, social worker, teacher, member of the clergy, or physician.

If the non-custodial parent is providing financial support and/or is in contact with the child, OES requires their participation. Amounts of financial aid granted will be determined by the parents' ability to pay, not by their willingness to pay.

I’m a stay-at-home parent and do not work outside the home; how will this impact our financial aid award?

There are many wonderful reasons for being a stay-at-home parent, and this decision is one deeply rooted in family values and a lifestyle choice. When all children are school-aged and there is no clear reason for a parent not to be working, OES will impute a predetermined income figure into the calculations. This allows us to treat stay-at-home parent families equitably with a family in which both parents work. We do not impute income if one parent is disabled and cannot work, or if the parent is caring for an infant/toddler, or a disabled child in the home.

My family situation seems unique, who should I contact to review my situation?

Please contact Jen Bash, Assistant Director of Admissions and Financial Aid, 503-416-9379.

Financial Aid Support

Jen Bash

Jen Bash

Associate Director of Admissions & Financial Aid