If your family has another child ready to apply to OES for 2021-2022, it is easy to access our new Admissions Portal.
A Message from the Division Head
by Asha Appel
Need to Know for Friday, November 20
I am grateful to this community, which has come together to support each other in myriad ways. I am grateful to the generous and energetic organizing by parents to show appreciation to teachers and staff, who felt buoyed by the hefty bags of snacks. I am grateful for the amazing work of our students, who in conferences this week are sharing their reflections on their growth and learning. I am grateful for the innovation that's happening all around us: teachers are inventing new ways to engage students, and students are taking agency over their learning. And I am grateful for the long week of rest that we all need. Please be safe, make good choices, and recognize that this is what's possible right now.
- The community is invited to attend today's Chapel (11:30-11:50 am PT) in memory of Nabila Maazouz, who passed away a year ago. Click here to join in a celebration of this extraordinary young woman who continues to inspire us.
- On Tuesday evening, to kick off break, about 50 students in grades 9-12 joined Student Government from all over the world for a fun virtual scavenger hunt.
- Wednesday, December 2, 6-6:30 pm PT: Join Science Chair Robin O'Hara and Aardvark Science Expo Co-Coordinator Bettina Gregg to learn about Science Research for grades 9-11. What are the goals of the program? How is it working remotely? What's expected of students? What will the Science Expo look like? Click here for the link. And the meeting will be recorded. There are lots of other interesting Parent Partnership "pop-up" meetings coming up:
- On December 7, 8:30-9 am PT, Maria McIvor will talk about Community Engagement Opportunities for The Holiday Season
- Mo Copeland will talk about the 2021 Upper School leadership transition on December 10, 6-6:30 pm PT
- Also on December 10, Dyan Watson will talk DEI initiatives with US parents at 8:45-9:45 am PT
- And 9th Grade Dean Austin Pritchard will share the ways 9th graders are connecting with each other during Continuous Learning on December 17, 9:20- 9:50 am PT.
- Students in grades 10 and 11 can sign up by November 30 to take a practice online ACT on December 5. Contact Betsy Velluto for details.
- Power for Good Spotlight from US Community Engagement Coordinator, Maria McIvor: Meals on Wheels is looking for volunteers to make friendly chat calls to their homebound clients on Thanksgiving! These calls aim to provide socialization and human connection for seniors through a friendly chat conversation. New to the Friendly Chat Program? Click here to attend a Friendly Chat Orientation. Already a Friendly Chat volunteer? Click here to sign up to make calls on Thanksgiving Day! Or build a Restart Kit for Refugee Care Collective. Click here for more info.
Need to Know will return on Friday, December 4
We're in This Together: Resources for Parenting Teens During Covid-19
- For Parents, a New Level of Big-Picture Anxiety via The NY Times
- How To Talk Prevention with Your Child via FCD
- 10 Comfort Games that Inspire Kindness, Community, and Well-Being via Mind/Shift