8th Grade Inquiry Project
Building on its inaugural start in the 2017–18 school year, Project X is an exciting inquiry program rooted in the eighth grade that emphasizes growth mindset, process over product, and authentic student driven learning. Each student in eighth grade engages in a year-long inquiry exploration of any topic they choose across disciplines. Students pursue individual passions, and are coached by MS faculty and experts from the community throughout the year.
There are four phases of the year-long project:
- Explore Inspiration
- Connect Ideas
- Create Meaning
- Commit Beyond Yourself
As a student, you will:
- Choose and dive deep into ANY discipline—art, science, literature, history, economics, math, language, THE LIST GOES ON!
- Discover what you’re passionate about! Ask your own questions and go through your own process
- Collaborate with a cohort of students that share your interests
- Work with a cohort-coach to set goals and map a plan to reach these goals
- Apply for leadership roles during the project
- Collaborate with your peers to determine how you will share your class's work with the community
- Have real agency and independence in your learning
By the end of the school year, students take action by developing a service learning project linked to their research and produce an artifact of their learning that they believe best represents their understanding and process.