OES’s 151st school year officially began on Wednesday with a virtual Belltower Ceremony to ring in 2020-21.
Lower School Home
Our Lower School, pre-kindergarten through fifth grade, gets students off to a strong start towards being successful in school, in college, and later as global leaders and thinkers by featuring:
- Strong academic foundation in core subjects
- A safe, nurturing community
- Small classes that allow close individual attention
- A child-centered environment which fosters an enthusiasm for learning
- A flexible, inquiry-based curriculum
- Significant hands-on project work
- Art, music, Spanish, science, library, technology, and physical education taught by specialists
While most OES students are off-campus attending Continuous Learning classes, our pre-kindergarten students and some of our younger children of essential workers are physically on campus to start the school year.
Prior to the start of school on Wednesday, students and parents were able to come to campus in small groups to pick up supplies, meet their teachers and advisors, and much more at Orientation 2020.
“The fifth-grade class has a lot of personality, full of spunky, outspoken, and caring individuals,” said Assistant Head of Lower School Chris Thompson.
Fourth-graders spent part of their week presenting a nearly year-long project to their peers, teachers, and families, all with the goal of answering important questions about the planet for the annual International Fair.