The Great OES Book Swap
The mission of GOBS is to promote a lifelong love of reading, writing, illustration, storytelling, and book sharing through its annual school-wide book exchange and community donation event.
Every spring, OES families are encouraged to donate their used books to GOBS then come to the event to take books home for summer reading and beyond. Students who donate books (in any number, with no points system) are invited to an early bird bonus book selection before classroom visits, but all students will have an opportunity to visit the event and take home at least a few treasures. Remaining books at the end of the event are passed on to community organizations. In past years, beneficiaries have included The Children's Book Bank, Woodburn Family Learning Center, Washington County Cooperative Library Services, Southwest Community Center, a local prison, and many small free libraries within Portland neighborhoods.
GOBS Schedule for 2020:
- Planning meetings (Mondays, starting at 8:10 a.m., running about an hour): 2/3 (Platt Global Classroom), 3/2 (Platt Global Classroom), 4/6 (Drinkward Volunteer Room). We always welcome new participants!
- Book dropoff Monday 4/13 (a.m./p.m.) and Tuesday 4/14 (p.m. only) (curbside or in Upper School Library).
- Classroom visits for book selection throughout the day on Wednesday 4/15 (Upper School Library).
- Take-all-you-want Wednesday 4/15 after school (until appx 4:45 pm) and Thursday 4/16 (7:45 a.m. until approximately 10 a.m.) (Upper School Library).
- Cleanup and community donation Thursday 4/16 starting at approximately 10 a.m. (Upper School Library and around town)