Friends of OES Libraries
The mission of the Friends of the OES Libraries (FOESL) is to promote a lifelong love of reading, writing, illustration, and storytelling by supporting the OES libraries and providing enrichment opportunities for students in these areas.
To fulfill this mission, FOESL will:
- Support all-school library curricula and programming through reading incentives, literary visitors, and events.
- Plan, publicize, and stage the annual Great OES Book Swap (GOBS).
- Assist in coordinating the Lou Fernandez Literary Festival.
- Assure community awareness of and involvement with FOESL.
FOESL meets on Tuesday mornings in the Platt Global Classroom. Meetings start at 8:10 a.m. and generally last about an hour. We always welcome new voices!
Meeting schedule for the 2019–20 academic year is as follows:
- February 4th
- March 3rd
- April 7th
Great OES Book Swap
Every spring, FOESL hosts the Great OES Book Swap. OES families are encouraged to clean out their bookshelves, donate their used books to GOBS, come to the event to take books home for summer reading and beyond. Students who donate books (in any number, with no points system) will be invited to an early bird bonus book selection before classroom visits, but all students will have an opportunity to visit the event and take home at least a few treasures.
Remaining books at the end of the event will be passed on to community organizations. In past years, beneficiaries have included The Children's Book Bank, Woodburn Family Learning Center, Washington County Cooperative Library Services, Southwest Community Center, a local prison, and many small free libraries within Portland neighborhoods.
GOBS schedule for 2020:
- Book dropoff Monday 4/13 and Tuesday 4/14.
- Classroom visits for book selection throughout the day on Wednesday 4/15.
- Take-all-you-want Wednesday 4/15 after school and Thursday 4/16 until 10 a.m.
- Cleanup and community donation Thursday 4/16 starting at approximately 10 a.m.
First Annual Lou Fernandez Literary Festival
The week of April 20-24, 2015, marked the first annual Lou Fernandez Literary Festival, presented by the Friends of the OES Libraries (FOESL). This event honored the memory of Lou Fernandez, who passed away in 2011. Lou was a stalwart OES volunteer and FOESL member for years and a lover of books, stories, words, and ideas. The festival featured guest author visits, writing events, and celebrations in the various divisions. Funding for this and future festivals is made possible by a new endowment, The Lou Fernandez Library Fund, established by Lou's wife, Linda Blakely. The Fund contains contributions in Lou's memory by many in our OES community.